This is a case report of a patient who experienced dramatic improvement of her inflammatory arthritis by following an ancestral or paleo elimination diet. I've shared the details of implementation, supplementation, and the reintroduction process. Check this out if you're interested in learning more about an approach to improving inflammatory medical conditions.Read More
Digestive woes, but following a meat-free diet? There are defiitely steps you can take to improve your bloating, pain, altered bowel patterns, and/or reflux! Get the specific details about food swaps and nutrient considerations from this post!Read More
It’s rare, but once in a while being disorganized really pays off. I have a grain-free waffle recipe that I’ve used for ages, and my kids love it. One day I promised them the waffles, then reached into my fridge to find…not enough eggs. By half - the recipe calls for six and I had three. Fortunately, I had an extra banana. The old recipe also called for melted coconut oil but I only had ghee.....
So, I tried this new version and it worked out great. However, if you are organized enough to have six eggs in your house, feel free to revert to the old version. Remember to only use one ripe banana in that case. It's your choice on coconut oil versus ghee.
I have a spice blend called Cinnamon Plus that is basically pumpkin pie spice with dried orange peel added. It tastes great in these but feel free to substitute pumpkin pie spice blend or just cinnamon.
Overall, I love how this recipe is a 'paleo' replacement of a grain food but WITHOUT a lot of grain-free flour - just 1/3 cup total, from coconut flour. It's full of clean protein, fiber, and ancestral, beneficial fats. There's no inflammation-promoting fat or refined flour and they taste great. I like to top these with a little bit of nut butter, and the kids love maple syrup. Berries are also great on top. Experiment and enjoy!
Oh, and a big shout-out to food photographer Erika Liu! As you can see, her pictures are gorgeous. Thanks for the help, Erika!
Re-Mixed Paleo Waffles
Hands-on time: 15 minutes / Total time: 15 minutes
- 3 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) sea salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) Cinnamon Plus, pumpkin pie spice, or cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) whole chia seeds (optional)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) coconut flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp (60ml) ghee or coconut oil (melted)
- Pre-heat your waffle iron (this recipe can also work as pancakes).
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add the mashed bananas, baking powder, sea salt, coconut flour, cinnamon, and chia seeds and mix well.
- Add melted coconut oil and mix again.
- Cook in waffle iron using ~1/3 cup batter per waffle.
- Serve with your topping of choice. A few of our favorites are nut butter, pure fruit preserves, maple syrup, coconut whipped cream, pan-fried apples, or a little honey.
Did you give this recipe a try? I'd love to hear how it went in the comments below! You can also contact me or get more tips from the social links below.